Football wins on senior night

Quarterback Marshall Howe ’21 stiff arms a St. Genevieve High School defender during the Wolverines’ 27-21 victory on Saturday, October 12.

The football team held off a late comeback attempt from La Salle College Preparatory last night, winning 30-27 in the last game of the season..

Fast Start

The night began with a celebration of the seniors on the drum line, spirit squad and football team. After the festivities, the game began, with both teams scoring quickly en route to a 14-13 Wolverine lead at the end of the first quarter.

Both of the team’s early touchdowns came off long passes from QB Marshall Howe ’21, who threw four total touchdowns in the victory. One of those came late in the second quarter, sending the Wolverines to the locker room with an eight point halftime lead.

Second Half

In the second half, kicker Liam Weetman ’21 made a short field goal to extend the lead to eleven.

Another Howe touchdown added six points, but the offense went stagnant after that, allowing 14 unanswered in the fourth quarter

With less than a minute left in the fourth quarter, the Wolverines were on defense, only up by three. That’s when wide receiver and cornerback Brendan Kang ’20 came up with the game sealing interception on fourth down. Adding to the importance of the moment, it was additionally Kang’s birthday. Speaking on the significance of the moment, Kang said he would never forget it.

“It’s amazing, this is the best birthday I could ask for,” Kang said. “It’s special. It’ll stay with me forever.”