Field hockey, water polo, volleyball win at Homecoming, football falls to Cathedral

In what was otherwise a perfect night for Harvard-Westlake athletics, the varsity football team was unable to cap off Homecoming with a victory after falling to league rival Cathedral 37-27. The loss from the football team followed wins from all three of the other varsity teams competing on Homecoming as field hockey defeated Bonita 2-0, water polo defeated Murrieta Valley 14-11 and girls volleyball swept Notre Dame in three sets.

Field hockey opened the Homecoming festivities with its win over Bonita to finish undefeated in Mission League play. The team had clinched the league title earlier this week with a tie against Glendora as well as a playoff spot. The Wolverines, who stand at 14-2-1 overall 7-0-1 in league at the end of the regular season, will have home field advantage as the Mission League champions in the first two rounds of playoffs, which begin Monday, Oct. 29.

Water polo followed field hockey with its non-league win over Murrieta Valley. The victory improved the Wolverines to 17-9 on the year. The game was the first ever Homecoming game played at the Copses Family Pool, which was built earlier this year. The Wolverines did not have a Homecoming game on campus last year due to the construction.

Volleyball followed water polo with its league win over Notre Dame. The Wolverines, who had lost in straight sets against the Knights at Notre Dame earlier this season, jumped to first place in the Mission League standings with one game remaining in league play. The Wolverines stand at 22-9 overall and 7-2 in league and can clinch the league title with a win against Alemany on Monday, Oct. 29. Alemany is 0-9 in Mission League play this season and fell to the Wolverines earlier this season in straight sets.

Football was unable to cap of the night with another win before Wolverine fans against league-opponent Cathedral. The Wolverines, who fell to 6-3 overall and 2-2 in league, were unable to clinch a playoff spot because of the loss. The Wolverines now need to win their last game of the season on Friday, Nov. 2 at Serra to finish high enough in league standings to earn their first playoff berth since 2009. The Wolverines fell to Serra by a score of 70-21 last season.

Check out photo galleries of all four varsity Homecoming games >>

Look back at our live play-by-play coverage of Homecoming >>