LAHSO hosts annual festival online

James Hess

The Latin American Hispanic Student Organization (LAHSO) hosted its third annual festival virtually May 7.

Open to the entire school community, the event is usually held outdoors and includes song, dance and poetry recitals. With LA County COVID-19 protocols still in effect, however, students and faculty gathered on Zoom to celebrate Hispanic culture.

CC Mesa ’22 said she enjoyed hosting the festival because it had been canceled last year.

“We didn’t get to do this because it was scheduled for the weekend after we closed [for COVID-19], so it’s great to finally have the chance,” Mesa said in the meeting. “Adopting past ideas was definitely challenging, but we were able to make it work.”

There were a variety of activities available to attendees

The festival began with a video art exhibit where students of the club showcased their talents in piano, singing and painting, activities that resembled the talent show from previous years. 

Simone Herman ’23 said watching the video made her realize the talents of the club.

“My favorite part was definitely seeing all of the art,” Herman said. “It was great to see all the talents that the members have outside of LAHSO.”

Students had four different breakout  rooms they could move between, including games of “Guess that Song,” “Mafia ” and “Loteria,” as well as a Netflix party viewing of “Taco Chronicles.” 

Students could join multiple breakout rooms

Fernanda Herrera ’23, who went to both the Mafia and Guess that Song breakout rooms, said the activities fostered a sense of community.

“I had so much fun meeting new people, and learned so many new songs to put in my playlist,” Herrera said. “Even though we weren’t in person, it felt just like friends hanging out.”

A member since ninth grade, Nathalie Paniagua ’23 said the festival provided a break from homework and studying, and allowed students to spend time talking to each other.

“We were able to reconnect with friends and teachers after a long and hard week,” Paniagua said. “LAHSO Fest was not only a way to show off the hard work our club does, but also to bring the entire school together online.”