Boys basketball team continues Mission League play after COVID-19 cancellations

Justin Goldstein

Guard Brando Fuqua ’23 glances up before shooting the ball at a practice Dec. 7. The team’s next game is Jan. 21.

Andrew Park

After losing to Notre Dame High School 61-71 on Jan. 7, the boys basketball team beat Alemany High School 74-26 on Wednesday and Loyola High School 79-49 on Friday.

Forward Santiago Hernandez ’23 said the team, which has a 16-2 record, strove to learn from its mistakes after losing to Notre Dame High School. 

“We know what we did wrong against Notre Dame [High School], so we understand the little details we have to focus on to improve,” Hernandez said. “[Our] team’s fast break offense has been the most consistent all season, but fast break offense relies on getting stops and making defensive plays, which is something we need to improve [upon] after the loss.” 

Forward Brady Dunlap ’23 said the team is using the recent loss as inspiration to improve as they head into the upcoming Mission League Tournament.

“We have taken that loss pretty hard, [but] it serves as just more motivation for the rest of the year,” Dunlap said. “We want to be the best and in order to do that we must beat the best.”

Dunlap said the team’s mindset has given them an advantage during the season.

“The team has been playing really unselfishly all year,” Dunlap said. “We keep each other motivated to work our hardest, which has allowed us to persevere during close games.”

Forward Jacob Huggins ’23 said he is pleased with the team’s chemistry, which he said led them to a winning record. 

“I think something that we have been doing well this season is moving the ball, which has been key in wins,” Huggins said. “Everyone gets involved, and we don’t have one player going out every game and scoring 40 [points].”

With the recent surge of COVID-19 cases, the school is restricting attendance at indoor athletic contests to Spirit Squad, Drumline, media and the families of the players on both teams. Huggins said he looks forward to when fans will be back in the stands and cheering for the team. 

“It has been tough with restricted attendance because it is always fun to go out and play in front of your friends and peers. Without them there, the energy inside the gym isn’t the same,” Huggins said. “The team has been adapting to it though, and we’re grateful to have the ability to play during these times even if there is limited attendance, but we hope to see everyone back supporting us in the gym sometime in the near future.”

The team will play its next game against St. Francis High School on Jan. 19 at home.