Girls basketball team looks to improve in remaining games

To prepare for upcoming games, Jordyn Call ’23 pushes off Jamie Yue ’24 to receive an entry pass from a teammate.

Paul Kurgan, Assistant Sports Editor

The girls basketball team returned to competitive play following a three week hiatus because of COVID-19 in a game against Junipero Serra High School on Jan. 8, which they lost 51-59. After defeating Canyon High School on Jan. 11, the team lost to Chaminade High School on Jan. 13.

Four of the team’s players tested positive for COVID-19 in late December and were thus unable to participate in the West Coast Jamboree Tournament, which occurred Dec. 28-30.

Guard Casey Landecker ’23 said though taking a break from organized team practices served as a disruption, she used the break as an opportunity to improve her fitness.

“I have been keeping myself in shape for games by going on runs and practicing my shooting technique,” Landecker said. “Having [this break] has also given me time to relax before we really get into the season.

Landecker said the squad gained momentum before the pandemic interrupted. After winning four of its last five games before the break, the team’s record became 9-5 overall. Landecker said dealing with the adversity of the season made their team stronger.

“Since we never know what could happen to the team with COVID-19, we appreciate every game,” Landecker said. “We all know our roles on the team and are very comfortable with ourselves and playing with our teammates”

In the team’s return from the COVID-19 disruption in a game against Junipero Serra High School on Jan. 8.

to move forward in the season.

“I think perfecting plays during practice and improving our technique will help us, especially when we get fatigued,” Yue said. “If we really put our heads down in practice, we will have a really good chance of going far this season.”

The Wolverines faced Canyon High School on Jan. 11. After winning the game 53-41, Yue said the team’s success stemmed from their energized start and ability to effectively execute plays.

“Our team started the game with a lot of energy, which helped us become more aggressive on both ends of the court,” Yue said. “The biggest factor in our win would be our ability to get down the court at a faster pace and score in transition.”

After a recent loss to Chaminade High School on Jan. 14, the team moved to an overall record of 10-7. Guard Vita Saffari ’22 said the team has struggled to regain the momentum they had before the COVID-19 hiatus, but she said she is still proud of the team’s growth.

“Im very proud of how much we’ve grown,” Saffari said. “It’s hard starting off as a team with a lot of younger girls but we’ve put a lot of effort into getting to know each other on and off the court, and I think in a lot of ways [it has] helped us get better as a team. We’ve been playing since the summer and I think [we’ve] really come a long way, but we still have a [long way] to go.”