Perry drops 40 points to complete comeback against Carlsbad in CIF State quarterfinal

Connor Tang
Senior guard and McDonald’s All-American Trent Perry ’24 finishes through contact in a game against Carlsbad High School on March 2.

In what almost was a heartbreaking end to a special season for the Wolverines, senior guard and McDonald’s All-American Trent Perry ’24 carried his team to victory with a career-high 40 points.

Coming off their first California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) Open Division title in school history, the boys’ basketball team defeated Carlsbad High School 73-72 in the Regional Open Division Semifinal at home March 2. The squad improves to an overall record of 31-3 with a 5-0 playoff record.

Unlike their previous home playoff games, the Wolverines were not able to dominate their opponent from the start. Carlsbad had all the momentum in the first quarter, playing with pace behind a frenzied crowd that made their presence felt in Taper Gym. Eight first-quarter points from junior forward Nik Khamenia ’25 kept the team within three, the score being 20-17 favoring the Lancers.

However, things quickly got out of hand for the Wolverines in the second quarter. A 7-2 scoring run from Carlsbad to make the score 27-19, capitalized by a three from guard Jake Hall, prompted an immediate timeout from Boys’ Basketball Program Head David Rebibo. The Wolverines still looked shaky for the remainder of the half, turning the ball over and rushing shots. The team would go into halftime trailing the Lancers 41-33.

Despite a rough first half, Rebibo said the team was ultimately able to turn things around in the second half.

“It came down to being focused, executing and showing some discipline,” Rebibo said. “We really lacked it and it’s very uncharacteristic and unlike us, but character responds, and we responded.”

Over the course of the entire third quarter, the Wolverines were able to slowly claw their way back into the game. Perry began to heat up, scoring 13 of the team’s 19 points in the quarter, and defensive stops held the Lancers to only 11 points. A putback by junior forward Isaiah Carroll ’25 tied the game at 52-52 entering the final quarter of play.

To start the fourth quarter, Perry broke the tie, who was fouled on a three-point make and converted the four-point play to make the score 56-52. The Wolverines established a small lead over the Lancers for several of the remaining minutes, but a score and foul by Carlsbad guard Tony Duckett brought the Lancers within one with one minute remaining, the score 67-66.

As the time winded down, Carlsbad was forced to foul the Wolverines to stop the clock and have more possessions. However, when Perry attempted to advance the ball up the court on one possession, he stepped out of bounds, turning the ball over to the Lancers down one point with 20 seconds remaining. Duckett attempted a mid-range shot for Carlsbad to take the lead but fell just short, the ball being rebounded by Perry. As the two teams fouled each other with less than ten seconds left, Perry would ice all four free throws he took to finish with 40 points and the victory.

Perry said his 40 points were motivated by his desire to play another game of high school basketball with his teammates.

“I wanted to wear a Harvard-Westlake jersey at least one more time,” Perry said. “I’m glad I get to get at least one more game with the team, and hopefully we’ll get to create more memories.”

The Wolverines will face Roosevelt High School in a rematch of the CIF-SS Open Division championship at home Mar. 5, with the winner advancing to the CIF State Final held at the Golden1 Center at Sacramento on Mar. 9.