Baseball starts their season with Mission League win streak

The+baseball+outfielders+celebrate+their+8-4+victory+over+Simi+Valley+during+the+Easton+Tournament.++Credit%3A+Bennett+Gross%2F+Chronicle+
The baseball outfielders celebrate their 8-4 victory over Simi Valley during the Easton Tournament. Credit: Bennett Gross/ Chronicle

Despite the loss of last year’s head coach Matt LaCour, who has stepped into the role of Athletic Director, new coach Jared Halpert has not skipped a beat.

The squad had notable winter league victories over Vista Murrieta, Junipero Serra and Fountain Valley.

A big indicator of the team’s Mission League potential was how the squad played in the Easton Tournament.

The Wolverines are currently 4-0 in the tournament with wins over Poly, Newbury Park, Simi Valley and El Camino Real.

“We have had a great start to the year, and I definitely feel that we have progressed since the fall,” pitcher Gabe Golob ’16 said. “With this start, we have proven that we can compete with some of the best teams in the state. When we play together, like we have so far, we are going to be really tough to beat.”

In the Wolverines’ first game at Poly, they easily handled the overmatched Parrots and moved onto the second round of the Easton Tournament with a 10-0 win.

In Harvard-Westlake’s home opener, the Wolverines claimed a 7-0 victory over Newbury Park. The squad was aided by six innings of one-hit baseball from McCabe Slye ’16 and a 2-3, one-RBI performance from Casey Slattery ’17.

The squad continued its dominance in an 8-4 home win over Simi Valley. Starting pitcher Paul Giacomazzi ’16 was awarded the win, and he was helped by Loren Franck ’18, who finished the game 3-3 with two RBIs.

The Wolverines continued their winning streak by defeating defending  City Section Division I champion El Camino Real 3-1 in the semifinals.

Bergin continued his dominance with a six-inning, five-strikeout performance. Suddleson went 1-3 and hit a three-run home run to give the Wolverines the win.

“I have relied on my defense this season, and all I wanted to do was to get back into the dugout and let our offense go hit,” Bergin said.

In the Wolverines’ four games this season, Bergin has a 0.82 ERA, Suddleson is hitting .417 with eight RBIs and Franck is .455 with six RBIs.

“We understand that we have a great lineup from top to bottom, and that no matter what happens, we are really solid, and if it is not me one day, then it will be someone else,” Suddleson said. “I am just trying to not put too much pressure on myself because everyone can do what is necessary and has the will do it.”

The Wolverines continued their Easton Tournament title defense Tuesday against Burroughs. The results of the game were unavailable as of press time.

Last season, the Wolverines defeated Alemany in the Easton Tournament finals 6-1.

“Winning the Easton Tournament is not the long-term goal, but it is a good start for sure,” Suddleson said. “We have aspirations beyond winning the Easton Tournament, and we are looking to build off of our early success.”

The Wolverines will begin Mission League play March 15 at Chaminade.