Girls’ basketball team snatches 15th season win

The girls’ basketball squad beat Salesian College Preparatory 54-39 today in the St. Mary’s Stockton Martin Luther King Showcase, marking their 15th win of the season.

Starter Jayla Ruffus-Milner ’18 made her return after she sat out in the win against Marymount on Thursday due to injury.

The Wolverines trailed by five after the first quarter and were down heading into halftime, but they outscored Salesian by 14 points in the fourth to get the win.

“We definitely stepped it up in second half and fourth quarter,” forward Ella Price ’20 said. “We want to jump out at the start stronger, but that didn’t happen today, so it’s good that we were able to come back.”

Center Kiki Iriafen ’21 had 12 of the team’s 26 points at the half and finished with 22 points. Jayla Ruffus-Milner finished with nine points.

The team traveled to Richmond, California to compete in this showcase, where Iriafen said the team will be able to further bond after the winter break tournament in Texas.

“Our team has a unique bond; we aren’t just teammates, we’re sisters,” Iriafen said. “On the court we encourage and hype up each other, and off the court we hang out and enjoy each other’s company.”

The team is scheduled to play their next game in the same showcase on Monday against Centennial.