Team continues undefeated streak

Midfielder and Captain Rachel Brown’ 20 pushes the ball upfield against Chaminade High School in a 2-0 win. Credit: Lucas Lee/Chronicle

Today, the field hockey team shutout Westlake High School in a decisive league victory 8-0. The Wolverines remain undefeated with five league wins.

Forward Penny Juarez ’21 attributes their victory to their familiarity with Westlake.

“We play with some players from Westlake so we definitely know their style of play,” Juarez said. 

Game Summary and New Opportunities

Within the first ten minutes of play, the Wolverines scored four unanswered goals. After building a comfortable lead, Coach Creznic substituted in players. Less experienced players received more gametime while starters moved to different positions as a learning experience. By halftime, the team was up 6-0. In the final half the Wolverines focused on distributing the ball between players. Goalie Caroline Sturgeon ’20 moved to offense and made the most of her opportunity by scoring, Juarez said. 

“When we play other positions than we’re used to it’s a really fun experience because we get to try new things in those positions.”

Defensive Improvements

The defense’s adjustments showed when they did not give up a single goal, Juarez said.

“For defense we really wanted to focus on forcing them to the outside. We just really emphasized really high intensity in the warmup.”

The Wolverine’s next game will be at Thousand Oaks High School. Last time the Lancers lost 10-0 to the Wolverines on Ted Slavin field.