Still Processing: A Skillful Showcase

Printed with permission of Baxter Chelsom

Georgia Goldberg

Juniors and seniors showcased their artwork in the Visual Arts exhibit Still Processing, which premiered in Feldman-Horn Gallery on Nov. 2.

Visual Arts Teacher Conor Thompson said a group of students in a video art class suggested the title, and the Visual Arts Department ultimately selected it because they wanted a title representative of all fields of art.

“Our student artists are still processing the massive changes in their lives that happened during lockdown last year and also continue to emphasize [the importance of] process in their artworks,” Thompson said.

Thompson said the return of visual arts in person improved student morale and the quality of their work.

“Our students are overjoyed and grateful to be back in person ,” Thompson said. “The positive impact of the daily exchanges they have with their peers are reflected in their creativity and work. It’s so important to have that exchange and learn from each other to develop creatively.”

Advanced Placement (AP) Studio Art student Gemma Lippman ’22 said the exhibit reflects her transition from creating art over Zoom to creating art in person.

“I think the title of the show really speaks to not only the process of having to create art over Zoom but also to the fact that we are all still developing and growing as artists constantly,” Lippman said.

Lippman also said that the camaraderie present in her art classroom provides a much more productive environment for creating art than her bedroom.

“Being surrounded by my classmates and teacher makes being creative and staying focused much easier,” Lippman said.

Photography II student Baxter Chelsom ’23 said that mental health challenges students faced during quarantine inspired some of his photography work .

“My photo is from this series I was working on that was about anxiety and how it affects people in countless situations and can show up in the most unexpected places,” Chelsom said. “I, and many others, are still processing on how to deal with anxiety.”

Chelsom also said he enjoyed seeing his peers’ artwork in the gallery.

“I loved seeing all different kinds of visual arts in one place,” Chelsom said. “It was awesome to see what other students are working on.”

AP Studio Art student Eva Salas ’22 said the title of the exhibit encapsulates the development of her art, as well as her own personal growth. She said her piece explores divine representation as well as the nature of mortality and death.

“I take ‘Still Processing’ pretty literally,” Salas said. “[My] piece is helping me process and work through my thoughts on death and the soul.”

Salas said her time in the art room is the highlight of each day and serves as an effective way to destress.

“ My schedule is much more packed and I tend to be more tired, so having art classes blocked out in my day is so helpful and keeps me from painting at ungodly hours in the night,” Salas said.

Salas said she was excited for her work to be displayed, but it felt intimidating to see such personally introspective work hanging on the gallery walls.

“I feel like for most people creating art is highly personal and vulnerable, no matter what aspect you examine,” Salas said.