Prefect Council hosts annual Winter Market

Colin Ho
Mark Dai ’26 and Mike Dai ’26 set up their booth “Mark and Mike’s Jams.”

Prefect Council hosted the annual Winter Market on the Quad during lunch Dec.13. Winter Market is an opportunity for faculty and student vendors to promote their small businesses and sell their products to the school community, according to an email from Prefect Council.

Mellow Eaton ’25 ran a booth for her small business called “Mellow Drama Pottery,” where she sold handmade bowls, vases and dishes. Eaton said she fell in love with pottery when she first started doing it in ninth grade, and has been doing ceramics ever since.

“[Pottery] is like my stress reliever,” Eaton said. “As I’ve grown more in pottery, my style has become more abstract. I enjoy making [different kinds] of things, but I love making vases and sculpting them as well. I determine the prices of my pieces by how long they took to make and by how much work I put into them.”

Jackson Hollis ’25 purchased a bowl from Eaton’s stand at the Winter Market, and said he enjoys shopping locally to give back.

“I’m happy that the prices are low because I’m a student, but [I think] she could charge more for them,” Hollis said. “It’s important to support student-run businesses because it helps grow the school community and builds character.”

Anna Jennings ’24 ran a booth where she sold second-hand clothing. Jennings said she started her business by vending at flea markets and decided to see how her shop would be received at the Winter Market.

“A lot of the clothes I sell are clothes that don’t fit me properly anymore or I don’t want anymore, but the majority are going to be things I found at the Goodwill Bins” Jennings said. “The reason I started thrifting was because I wanted to save money, but as I started thrifting more, I realized that recycling clothes is really beneficial to the environment. It not only reduces the production of emissions, but also it helps reduce waste.”

Brothers Mark Dai ’26 and Mike Dai ’26 manned a stand called “Mark and Mike’s Jams” where they sold homemade strawberry jams. Mike Dai said he and his brother were inspired to start making jams by Mr. Gru’s Old Fashioned Jellies from the movie “Despicable Me 2.”

“Our mom helped us make a lot of the jams, and they taste very good,” Mike Dai said. “[We] made the jams at home with a food processor, which took a pretty long time. We source our ingredients from Trader Joe’s [because] they sell very high quality ingredients.