Students perform in annual spring jazz concert

SOUND THE HORNS: Students show off their musical skills during their spring concert. The annual showcase was held April 20 at the Upper School in Rugby Theater.

About 70 students performed in the spring jazz concert April 20 in the Rugby Theater.

The students have been rehearsing since the beginning of the year.
There were six jazz groups that played in total.

The middle school Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble, Studio Jazz Band and Jazz Band played in the concert. There were also two other jazz groups that played, including the Jazz Explorers.

“All of the bands played great, and it was a great concert to be a part of,” Jarod Bacon ’17 said.

Right before the last band played, all the seniors on stage presented Costantino a helmet signed by Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady since Costantino is a Patriots fan.

“I was pretty overwhelmed because I’m from Boston, and I’m a very big Patriot’s fan,” Costantino said. “The music was the highlight of the show, but that was the emotional highlight of the concert. They almost made me cry on stage. It was very sweet of them.”

Although the spring concert is an annual event, this is the second year that the Middle School and Upper School played together.

“I love having [the middle school students] there,” Costantino said. “Ms. Wayne and I started doing that last year. Having the eighth and ninth graders there was great. It makes the group more tightly knit having the younger and older students there.”

The groups played 17 songs in total, including “Foxhunt,” “Donna Lee” and “Fingerpainting.”

“It was cool to play with some people whom I might play with in the future,” Oliver Friedman ’17 said.

Because of Passover, there was less time to rehearse.
“We had much less time to prepare for this concert than we usually do because the concert was moved up due to Passover, but all of the bands worked hard and sounded very good,” Mathew Hogan ’17 said.

The trip to Spain gave the musicians a lot of practice time, Friedman said.

“It was a nice way to finish out the year, and we got to show everyone what we had worked on and played in Spain,” Friedman said. “I think our practice really paid off.”