YoungArts names upper school photographer, singer as finalists in nationwide art competition

Arianna Shooshani ’18 was recognized by the YoungArts organization as a finalist for her submitted photography. Shooshani submitted five pieces in a unified body of work and five of her strongest photographs to YoungArts this year. Credit: Printed with permission of Ariana Shooshani ’18

YoungArts recognized Arianna Shooshani ’18 and Elizabeth Gaba ’17 as finalists for their 2017 contest submissions.

Shooshani and Gaba were among the 691 artists selected out of a pool of 7,970 applicants representing 40 different states, the most applications that YoungArts has received to date, according to their website.

Both received the finalist title, the highest honor a student can receive from the program. Shooshani won the title in photography while Gaba won in the voice category.

“To be among [the finalists] is really just an honor,” Shooshani said. “To know that my work has gotten stronger over the past year is really encouraging for me.”

Shooshani’s submission consisted of a total of 10 pieces, five from a unified body of work and five of her strongest pieces in general.

Gaba submitted four songs in her application under the subcategory of popular voice. Her repertoire included “Goodbye Song” by Sara Bareilles, “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding, “Not in that Way” by Sam Smith and “Gone” by Lianne La Havas.

Both students turned in submissions last year and were named honorable mentions in their respective categories.

This year, as finalists, the two will have the opportunity to travel to Miami and participate in National YoungArts Week in January.

They will also be eligible to participate in YoungArts’ Los Angeles regional program in the spring.

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be a finalist this year,” Gaba said. “I’ve had a few friends who have been to National YoungArts week, and they said it was the greatest experience of their life, so I’m super excited to experience it for myself.”