DME #pride

No three words strike more fear into the heart of Chronicle staffers than “Digital Managing Editor.” When the two of us walk into the room, the juniors and sophomores cower.

OK, so that isn’t exactly the reputation we carry. Maybe people don’t exactly understand what my position actually entails, but I like to tell myself that I can assign sophomores and juniors to pages and articles. Having spent the last nine months dutifully fulfilling my numerous responsibilities, though, I can confidently say that my position is not a joke. Not only did I try to do my part to make the paper the best it could be, but more importantly, it changed me as a person.

Coming from the sports section, M-Team felt like a different world. I had to work in Weiler 108 (the news room) instead of Weiler 104 (the sports room), which meant no more college football during layout. I ventured for the first time into Weiler 108, having no friends except for my next-door neighbor, Maddy. Even though my old Chronicle friends were only two doors down, they felt like a world away. The cleanliness, the orderliness and the dearth of noise scared me. These people didn’t seem like people who would be my friends. I really didn’t think that my position would shape me as a human being and that the best parts of my senior year would be related to Chronicle.

Wow, was I wrong. If there was no Digital Managing Editor, I wouldn’t have gone on the Dallas trip. I wouldn’t have met my fearless partner in crime and fellow Digital Managing Editor. I wouldn’t have met Anthony, the person who has had the single biggest impact on me. I wouldn’t be so confident voicing what I believe in. I wouldn’t be so comfortable with myself and my relationships.

As my senior year comes to a close, I’ve begun to reflect on what has made this year so special. For me, it’s the people. It’s the people who have supported me when I needed it the most, and the people who have been with me at my best and at my worst. And a lot of these people came from M-Team. From friendships I never expected. From people with whom I never thought I would have long conversations in the middle of the night.

I remain eternally grateful to Danielle and Josie for believing in me and my journalistic capabilities when I don’t think I even did. Sure, I may not get to write a lot of the editorial an sure. Sure, I don’t usually get to sign off on pages. But I wouldn’t trade it for the world.