Students volunteer to create lanterns at Luminaria event

Seven students crafted handmade lanterns alongside Studio City residents at the ninth annual Luminaria Event held by the Studio City Neighborhood Council’s Cultural Affairs Committee at Campo de Cahuenga on Saturday.

The lanterns were used during Sunday night’s free family event celebrating the holiday season and the history of Campo de Cahuenga. According to the Studio City Neighborhood Council Facebook page, the celebration featured arts and crafts, live music and refreshments.

Attendees create lanterns for festival

Students made lanterns by filling paper bags with sand and inserting lights to illuminate them. Director of Community and Public Affairs Stacy Marble said the festival created a welcoming atmosphere for attendees.

“It’s a great event for the public to come out and experience a holiday event in our community,” Marble said. “The paper bags are all lit up and illuminated, and [they create] a warm ambiance and a special feeling in a historic spot here in Studio City.”

Community Council member Noah Aire ’20 said the event was a great way to for the school to support its neighbors.

“I would have, of course, loved to see more people from Harvard-Westlake there,” Aire said. “But it’s nothing against our community. I think it’s really important for Community Council and for Harvard-Westlake to show that it cares about the local community.”

Students volunteer annually at festival

For the last several years, students have worked alongside community leaders to help set up the event. Marble said that through her volunteer work, she has developed many relationships.

“It’s really special to be able to give back to your community, especially during the holiday season,” Marble said. “It’s great to meet the community leaders of Studio City and build a relationship by working together for a common purpose.”