College Board cancels June SAT, plans to administer exams monthly starting in August

Update: April 15

In an email to students nationwide, the College Board announced April 15 that the June 6 SAT has been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“Right now, public health officials have made it clear it’s not safe to gather students in one place,” the College Board said in the email. “Many states have closed their schools for the rest of the academic year, and globally there are widespread school closures across 192 countries. As such, we won’t be able to administer the SAT and SAT Subject Tests as planned on June 6.”

The board will administer SAT exams every month from August to December in order to provide students with additional testing opportunities. Registration for the standardized tests will open in May, and students in the class of 2021 who have not yet taken the SAT will be given priority when signing up, the College Board said.

The organization is also preparing to administer SAT tests online in case schools are closed down at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year, it said.

“In the unlikely event that schools don’t reopen this fall, the College Board will provide a digital SAT for home use, much as we’re delivering digital exams for three million Advanced Placement students this spring,” the College Board said. “As we’re doing with at-home AP Exams, we would ensure that at-home SAT testing is simple; secure and fair; accessible to all; and valid for use in college admissions.”

Future SAT testing dates are now scheduled for Aug. 29, Oct. 3, Nov. 7 and Dec. 5. To find out more information, visit the College Board website.

Update: April 3

College Board released the official AP testing schedule, as well as the formats of each exam, April 3. The tests will take place from May 11 to 22; each subject will have its own time slot within the 11-day period. Make-up tests will be administered from June 1 to 5.

Update: May 29

In light of nationwide school closures due to the coronavirus outbreak, committee members on the College Board Advanced Placement Program announced March 20 that AP exams will be administered online and clarified that the tests will be open-note and open-book March 29.

The exams will test students’ abilities to apply overarching themes and skills to broader problems, as opposed to forcing test takers to memorize and recall facts, AP Program Head Trevor Packer said.

Each exam will be held for 45 minutes and will only test students on material that most AP teachers around the country have covered by March. The board also said that it will offer two testing dates for each exam and will release the specific dates on April 3.

The committee said that online testing is not unprecedented and that it will implement extra measures to eliminate cheating, such as plagiarism detection software. Universities across the country will accept scores from the shortened exams in lieu of the conventional three-hour AP tests, according to the College Board.

“Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they’ve worked this year to earn,” members of the College Board said in an email. “For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies.”

The board will also provide low-income students with additional resources to give them the same opportunities to take the online tests. In the meantime, the AP Program will continue to offer free, online AP review classes led by AP teachers nationwide.

For more information, visit the College Board website.