Boys soccer ties Crossroads High School in back and forth battle

Goalie+Jason+Salmeron+22+rolls+the+ball+up+the+field+setting+up+an+offensive+strike+late+in+the+game.+

Joe Lester

Goalie Jason Salmeron ’22 rolls the ball up the field setting up an offensive strike late in the game.

Justin Goldstein

The boys soccer team tied Crossroads High School 1-1 making the squad’s record 0-3-1 this season at home Friday.

Chronicle staff writer Charlie Seymour ’23 scored the one goal for the Wolverines in the second half of the contest. Crossroads tied the game up late in the second half, and defense prevailed the rest of the way, leading to the final score of 1-1. Forward Milo Kiddugavu ’22 said he was disappointed in the team’s start to the year.

“I think we could all do a lot to improve,” Kiddugavu said. “We have been close in all of our games, however, we can never seem to finish strong. I think working on our shooting in specific will help with that because we have not been able to generate a ton of offense so far in the year.”

The team in its past three contests has lost to Palos Verdes High School 2-1, Cathedral High School 1-0 and Birmingham High School 6-0. Kiddagavu said he feels that the team chemistry needs to come together more for future games.

“With COVID-19 and the extended delays we all had, it has been tough to build that team comradery that we had last season,” Kiddugavu said. “Especially with us losing a ton of seniors it was hard to restructure our team, but I think we are finally heading in the right direction.”

Left-back Ollin DeAntonio ’22 said he has high aspirations for the season despite the slow start.

“I think I can speak for all my teammates when I say I want to go back to CIF this year,” DeAntonio said. “We know this year has not gone exactly how we wanted, but I believe in our guys and I think we can definitely make a deep CIF run this year.”

The team will look to rebound in their next game against Crespi Carmelite High School on the road on March 31. The team will then play its rival, the Loyola High School Cubs on April 5.