Boys soccer wins its first league game against Crespi Carmelite High School

Charlie Seymour

The boys soccer team defeated Crespi Carmelite High School 1-0 in its Mission League opener at home Wednesday. After a close first half with clean sheets on either side, the squad pulled ahead from a header by Connor Colao ’21 from a corner late into the second half to clinch the win. 

Wednesday’s victory marked the squad’s first win after going 0-1-3 in preseason games, losing 2-1 to Palos Verdes High School, 1-0 to Cathedral High School and 6-0 Birmingham High School and tying Crossroads High School 1-1. Senior Stone Kletecka ’21 reflected on how the Crespi win affected the team’s morale.

“While our three losses may seem demoralizing, they prepared us for competition far better than Crespi and nearly every team we will face in the Mission League,” Kletecka said. “The losses kept our egos in check and prepared us for the worst.”

Due to 10 senior players graduating last year, only 10 of the 23 players on varsity’s roster are returning members of the team. In addition to primarily new players, the program welcomed Boys Soccer Program Head Michael Erush to the team after former Boys Soccer Program Head Kris Ward left at the end of last season. 

Ryan Zoller ’22 said as a new player he is adjusting to the team and he believes the team is starting to work as one on the field.

“This season our team is getting used to new players, like myself, and a new coach,” Zoller said. “We are all adjusting but our team works really well together and that’s why we have had a lot of success on the field.” 

Kletecka said that the team is first trying to form a connection with the new coaching staff and players before putting all its energy in competition. 

“Most of the team’s energy has been dedicated toward bridging disconnects between the new coaching staff and new players,” Kletecka said. “Resultantly, it’s taking a while to find stride as a team, but when we do, we will be able to compete with anyone.” 

The squad looks to continue its success in its games against longtime rival Loyola High School, St. Francis High School and Chaminade High School, respectively, in the coming week.