Track and field team remains undefeated

Jessica+Thompson+23+soars+through+the+air+in+the+long+jump+event+at+a+Mission+League+meet+against+St.+Francis+High+School+on+April+17.+

Joe Lester

Jessica Thompson ’23 soars through the air in the long jump event at a Mission League meet against St. Francis High School on April 17.

Amelia Scharff

The girls and boys track and field teams have remained undefeated this season, holding a 7-0 record and looking to send members to the CIF-SS playoffs. Recently, the squad celebrated senior night on May 15 against Alemany High School, which sprinter Lauryn Milburn ’22 said was her favorite part of the season.

“I think this particular meet was very special because along with our celebration of the senior athletes, there were a bunch of personal records from a bunch of my teammates, which made me feel very proud,” Milburn said.

The squad’s biggest meet was the 2021 Arcadia Invitational at Arcadia High School on May 7, where school and state records were broken. With over 200 teams in attendance, this was one of the largest meets in California and the largest meet the squad has attended this year. Normally, the meet is open to high schools across the country, but this year, it was only open to student-athletes in California due to COVID-19.

Pole vaulter Jessica Thompson ’23 received second place in the Pole Vault Open category when she cleared 11 feet, 9 inches,  setting a new personal and school record. Her brother Jason Thompson ’22 also placed first in the Triple Jump Invitational category, setting his new personal record and setting a new state record of 47 feet, 2 inches.

Jessica Thompson said she was proud to get the highest pole vault mark in school history, as it was her goal to do so this season.

“I’d been working towards breaking the school record in pole vault since the start of the season,” Jessica Thompson said. “It was my ultimate goal for this year, and it felt amazing to finally have all my hard work pay off. Obviously, there are still improvements to be made and new goals to be reached, but for now, I’m proud of myself and thankful to my coaches and teammates who helped me get to where I am.”

In the 1,600 meter Girls Sprint Medley, runners Adrienne Usher ’22, Gisele Thompson ’24, Alyssa Thompson ’23 and Daniela Quintero ’22 were named Arcadia Champions with their time of 4:04.29. This is the fastest time for this event in California and the third-fastest time in the country, according to athletic.net.

Alyssa Thompson ’23 also broke another record this season at the Mission League Finals, when she ran the 100-meter dash in 11.86 seconds, which is her personal record.

Cross Country and Track Program Head Jonas Koolsbergen said he was happy with the team’s performance this season, especially after the long hiatus due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“The season has been going tremendously well,” Koolsbergen said. “I’m extremely proud of this team and how we have been overcoming challenges and adjusting to everything that has come with this 2021 season. Everyone involved with our program should be very, very proud of what we have done so far. I’m looking forward to finishing by doing even more.”