Wolverines look to maximize success after undefeated start to 2021 season

Justin Goldstein/Chronicle

Serve it Up: Ava Lange ’23 serves in a 3-0 win against Calabasas High School. The squad dominated, moving to a 3-0 record this season.

Ryan Razmjoo

The girls volleyball team’s start to the 2021 season continues, with the team staying undefeated in August. The Wolverines played three matches: two in the Lakewood Tournament against Valley Christian High School and Los Alamitos High School and one against Calabasas High School.

Last season, the team finished with a 3-3 record in Mission League play and a 14-16 record overall. Then, the Wolverines lost to Westlake High School in the second round of the CIF-SS playoffs, effectively ending the squad’s season.

Girls Volleyball Program Head Natalie Morgan, who was hired in May, hopes to steer the team to success. Morgan said she served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Loyola Marymount University, worked with USA Volleyball and currently works at Surfside Volleyball Club in Manhattan Beach.

Morgan said the team’s strong team spirit and its core values will be conducive to its success. She also said that she has high expectations for her new team.

“We have high goals for the year and are looking to go as far as we can go in November,” Morgan said. “We look to do this through our team’s chosen core values of accountability, trust and fun.”

Morgan also said she expects growth from the team throughout the year as the  Wolverines compete together and build stronger relationships.

“I am very excited to watch these young women grow and compete,” Morgan said.

Outside hitter Sophia Lindus ’22 said she spent the summer training in hopes of a successful season and that she is excited for the coming year.

“I really look forward to playing with this team again and really progressing and gelling together [to] go to [the CIF State Regional Championship],”  Lindus said.

Now, the Wolverines play its league opener against Marymount High School on Aug. 31, followed by a second league match against Notre Dame Academy on Sept. 9. Next, the team will participate in the Durango Classic tournament in Las Vegas on Sept. 17 and Sept. 18.

Middle blocker Kennedy Hill ’22 said she is excited to see her summer training culminate in success this upcoming season. Hill, who leads the squad as a team-captain, said she hopes the team will surpass last year’s record and compete in the CIF championship.

“Our main goal this season is to play our best and win,” Hill said. “I am most excited to grow as a team together and hopefully make it all the way to [the CIF State Regional Championship].”

Outside hitter Katie Caras ’23 said she is hoping for the team to have an undefeated season this year.

“My goal for the season is for my team to go as far as we can undefeated,” Caras said.