Swimming program to launch season with new coach, pool

The swimming team opens its season with new coach Jonathan Carroll at the helm. He was hired as the Head of the Swimming and Diving Program last May.

“I was never aware that the job was open, it wasn’t anything I consciously aspired to,” Carroll said.  “But it was certainly one that I felt that I could be a good fit given the type of kid that they produce and the type of athletic resources that they have.”

Carroll began swimming at a young age after he was diagnosed with asthma, and he went on to swim at the University of Pennsylvania. He then coached at a day school in Pennsylvania and was also a teacher before moving to California. He worked primarily as a club swimming coach before getting his graduate degree and accepting the job as the Head Swim Coach at Harvard-Westlake. Carroll has coached Wolverine alums in club swimming and is familiar with many of his swimmers.

This is the first season that the swim team will use the new Copses Family Aquatic Center.

The team had to practice off campus last year while the renovation was underway.

“I really wanted to make a program that fits the type of facility that it now is in,” Carroll said. “My goal is to make us produce the best caliber athletes that we can, whether they swim on Division I teams or whether they are able to swim internationally. I want it to match the kind of seriousness and respect that some of the other athletic programs on campus receive.”

Many swimmers are still in club swimming season and Carroll says he will coordinate with the club coaches to make a program for his swimmers that is geared towards performing during the 12-week school swim season.

“I liked him when I first met him and I know he’s a great coach and I know he has accomplished many things,” swimmer Henry Copses ’14 said. “My club coach says he knows him really well and says [Carroll]’s a great guy.  I’m sure he will do his job, I’m sure he’ll be great and I look forward to having him as a coach.”