Squad dominates Durango Fall Classic to boost overall ranking

JAndreone_Volleyball_102021

JAndreone_Volleyball_102021

The girls volleyball team finished 5-1 in the Vista Murrieta Durango Classic in Las Vegas Sept. 17-18. As the end of the regular season approaches, the squad now ranks 17th in the state and looks to capitalize on its tournament success.

Going into the tournament, the team had lost four consecutive games to Redondo Union High School, Village Christian High School and Marymount High School in league play. .

The team lost its first game to Palos Verdes High School 2-0 at the tournament. The squad then defeated Vista Murrieta High School in two tight sets, winning the first 25-20 and the second 25-16. As the weekend progressed, outside hitter Sophia Lindus ’22 said that the squad performed best when they played with confidence.

“We played together as a team,” Lindus said. “Everyone was focused on winning and we all had energy. We played well all around and each position worked hard to keep our opponents out of system, which allowed us to capitalize on their mistakes.”

The team dominated the rest of the weekend tournament , winning four straightmatches. The squad defeated Foothill High School, Pleasant Grove High School and Lincoln High School, all by a score of2-1. Losing the first set 25-20 against Lincoln High School, outside hitter Ava Lange ’23 said she was especially proud of the resilience the team demonstrated in coming back from its early loss in the tournament.

“I think we first were scared of Lincoln because we heard a lot about a single outside that was committed to [The University of Oregon] , a very good volleyball school,” Lange said. “Once we started playing, though, I think we knew our potential and [had confidence in our abilities].”

The squad capped off the weekend by defeating La Costa Canyon High School 2-0. The Wolverines took the first set by a score of 25-19 and the second 25-23.

As the end of season approaches, Lindus said the tournament gave the team a needed boost of confidence.

“With our success came a higher state ranking and a solidified trust between teammates and coaches,” Lindus said. “It also set a higher bar for our playing which pushes us to work harder and improve. We always say ‘Cheer like Durango’ when our energy as a team is down, and bringing back these good memories helps us celebrate the fun aspects of the game when the going gets tough.”

Team captain and middle blocker Kennedy Hill ’22 said the team quickly turned its season around after the tournament, winning the next three games against Bishop Montgomery High School, Notre Dame Acadamy High School and Alemany High School.

“I attribute our success to the strong connection and friendship between [members of] our team,” Hill said. “From the start, we got along really well and were able to get into our groove early on. Our team has done a really good job of trusting each other.”

As the team nears the end of the season, Hill reflected on her squads season so far and said her goal for the team is to make it to the CIF championship.

“I am most proud of our perseverance throughout tough matches and our trust that we have in each other as well,” Hill said. “I am looking forward to continuing our hard work in practice and reaping the rewards in future games.”