Chinese Cultural Club organizes annual Lunar New Year Luncheon

Nathalie Paniagua ’23, Olivia Baradaran ’24, Jordan Dees ’24 and more perform a song at the Chinese New Year Luncheon. Printed with permission of Doug Sun.

Alex Hahn

Following a two-year hiatus, the Chinese Cultural Club (CCC) hosted its annual Chinese New Year Luncheon at the Skirball Cultural Center on March 6.

During the two-hour event, students and teachers provided entertainment in the form of dragon dances, skits and a musical performance from Jazz Band. Toward the luncheon’s conclusion, participants were also provided with souvenirs, including red envelopes, symbolizing good fortune, stuffed tiger ornaments and chocolate.

Jazz Band member Aiden Daneshrad ’23 said he was grateful for the opportunity to play at the special occasion and experience its festivities.

“I felt honored in helping celebrate such an important event in Chinese culture,” Daneshrad said. “It was also awesome being able to do so while sharing my passion for jazz and simultaneously immersing myself in another culture.”

Head of Upper School Beth Slattery, who spoke at the luncheon, said she appreciated the social and entertainment aspects of such events. “I always love seeing the [student] performances,” Slattery said. “I find them really creative, funny and often educational. Furthermore, I enjoy learning more about Chinese culture and the opportunity to connect with students and parents around topics that are so meaningful to them.”

Club member Kian Chen ’23 said although he enjoyed all the different event activities, he found the student performances the most entertaining. “It was really nice to see my fellow peers and underclassmen display their Chinese skills and love for the culture in a fun manner,” Chen said. “The performances I found particularly amusing were student ones ranging from funny skits to songs and fun quizzes on Chinese table manners. Overall, I had a great time at the event.”

Chen said the event held great personal significance for him, as well as other Chinese members of the school community. “[The luncheon] commemorates the most important holiday in Chinese culture: Lunar New Year, and it was great to see the community come together in celebration, especially considering that it was the first time in two years,” Chen said. “It really makes me feel like everyone is part of one giant family, and it means a lot to the Chinese community to see our culture receive some recognition.”