Wolverines dismantle La Salle 39-3

Henry Vogel

The football team improved its overall record to 5-2 with a 39-3 win over La Salle High School. The game, which gave the Wolverines a 1-1 league record, was highlighted by a large amount of flags and interceptions.

After scoring two quick touchdowns in the first half of the first quarter, the team alternated three and outs and turnovers with La Salle. Neither team could could put points on the board until Harvard-Westlake scored again in the second quarter.

This form of hard defense was played all game. Philip Smith ’15, Mike Mapes ’16, Desmond Butler ’15 and Alex Barnum ’16 all had interceptions for the Wolverines’ defense, and multiple tackles for losses were acquired. Even the La Salle defense forced multiple fourth downs despite eventually letting up 39 points.

Although the scoreboard reveals a dominating win, the Wolverines, like games earlier in the season, drew several, easily avoidable flags that gave La Salle opportunities to score that were not capitalized on.

In previous games, the punt return unit has shown a pattern of picking up roughing the kicker calls that surfaced again today. In addition to being very unnecessary, these plays give the ball back to the other team with a first down and better field position instead of taking the ball over on a three and out.

Both teams struggled with penalties, not just the Wolverines. One flag, for example, was a holding call against Harvard-Westlake that negated a 65-yard touchdown run by Garrett Robinson ’15.

The team ran the ball extremely well, using a number of option plays involving Robinson and Marshal Cohen ’16. Both players found the endzone for scores tonight, combining for five touchdowns on the ground. Cohen also threw for another touchdown to Carter Begel ’17 in the first quarter.

La Salle’s only points came on a last second field goal as the fourth quarter game clock expired.

The Wolverines will face Cathedral in another Angelus League matchup next week.