Football 2-2 after week four

Darlene Bible
SECRET WEAPON: Quarterback Aidan Greenfield ’24 rushes through the South High School defensive line, picking up yards on one of the team’s four scoring drives. Greenfield replaced Aaryan Mehdi Williams ’27 as the starting quarterback in the team’s fourth game of the year.

The football team defeated South Torrance High School 28-21 on Sept. 8th. This win came following a critical loss in their previous game against Canyon Country. 

The team entered the game with a different offensive approach, choosing to start Senior Captain Aidan Greenfield ’24 instead of Aryan Medhi Williams ’27. Greenfield had spent his previous season as the team’s leading wide receiver. Greenfield said he focused on getting the team going and having fun in the game.

“I felt like our team clicked [in] both our scheme and energy,” Greenfield said. “It felt incredible being out there, putting up points and having a good time doing it. I just told myself to have fun and be athletic, and that carried throughout the entire offense.”

Wide receiver Connor Bunnak ’24 caught 3 passes for 58 yards and a touchdown. With Greenfield shifting to quarterback, Bunnak will notice more attention on him from both sides of the ball. He noted that the offensive transition was able to go so smoothly this week due to his chemistry with Greenfield and his coaches.

“I’ve been playing alongside [Greenfield] since we were in seventh grade, so we have developed a consistent and reliable connection,” Bunnak said. “I know that he has faith in me, and he knows that I have faith in him. Coach Williams has [also] shown a lot of trust in me to get me the ball and allows me to make an impact in the game, but in the end, all I want to do is go out there and win, and I’ll play any role if it helps us achieve that.”

Samuel Christopher ’24 continued to produce, rushing 19 times for 141 yards and a touchdown. He led the team in all-purpose yards, while also securing seven tackles on defense. The Wolverines will need him to remain effective on both offense and defense.

Senior Captain Bill Coleman ’24 said the defense was fundamental in supporting the team as the offense familiarized itself with its new approach.

“The defense had to do our part in keeping us in the game,” Coleman said. “We understood that the offense might be a little slow to start the game and that mistakes would happen. We knew that it would be our job to pick the offense up after inevitable mistakes. We had that approach coming into the game, and it gave us motivation. We felt like we had to be that safety net for the team to fall back on.”

The defense held onto a tight, one possession win for the Wolverines. Aaron Milburn ’24 led the defense with ten total tackles, while Michael Schneider ’24 and Matteo Arroyo ’25 both tallied a sack. Kurtis Walters ’27 came up with an interception.

The Wolverines will face the Northview Vikings on Sept. 22.