Head Fanatics elected for 2023-2024 year

Nathan Wang
BUILDING UP A DREAM TEAM: 2023-2024 Head Fanatics Zion Otaño ’24, Lily Stambouli ’24, Annabelle Mass ’24, Ben Boateng ’25, Fiona Ryan ’25 and Boaz Maydew ’24 pose for a group photo after meeting in preparation for this year’s spirit activities at athletics games.

Upper school students voted for their Head Fanatics in a survey sent out by Prefect Council on Aug. 30. Prefect Council announced the election results in an email the following day. Lily Stambouli ’24, Zion Otaño ’24, Annabelle Mass ’24 and Boaz Maydew ’24 were elected as this school year’s senior Head Fanatics, while Ben Boateng ’25 and Fiona Ryan ’25 were elected as junior Head Fanatics.

As an athlete, Maydew said having support from fans is one of the most integral parts to playing well.

“Hearing the crowd roar every play, big or small, always boosts my confidence, and I’m sure that’s the same for other athletes as well,” Maydew said. “80% of every sport is mental, so having support and energy from outside of the game itself is important.”

Maydew said he has big dreams for the student section this year.

“When I was a sophomore, the Head Fanatics of that year made me an honorary fanatic because they recognized how much spirit and enthusiasm I had at every game,” Maydew said. “That year we were voted best student section in California, and I have dreams of becoming the best student section in the country.”

According to Prefect Council, the main objective of Head Fanatics is to engage the crowd and to build school spirit. The newly elected Head Fanatics will collaborate with Prefect Council to plan Spirit Week and Fanatic Fest, which will take place Oct. 6.

Stambouli said some of her best memories have been watching sports games from the stands.

“Some of my favorite memories in 10th and 11th grade were at sports games, cheering on my classmates with huge crowds next to me,” Stambouli said. “I love going to sports games because it gives athletes the opportunity to have fans and a crowd to be playing for. I think Head Fanatics are super important because they help to rally the student body together, whether that’s over a themed football game or crazy basketball chants.”

Stambouli said she hopes to share this experience with the rest of the school community.

“I really just want to be able to share that hype experience with the whole community,” Stambouli said. “I’ve definitely played in quite a few field hockey games where our only audience members are parents of people on the team. Having Head Fanatics is also really helpful to HW’s school culture because having fun and packed sporting events are such an integral part of the high school experience and definitely some of the most memorable.”

Football player Quinn Hamilton ’26 said Head Fanatics are significant to him because not only are the fans, but peers with whom he can create connections.

“The Head Fanatics as well as the players are all students who interact with each other during the school year,” Hamilton said. “[This strengthens] the bond between them and leads to an even greater experience because the fanatics are truly invested in the success of the teams. It’s a magical experience.”