College representatives visit campus

Representatives from almost 100 colleges and universities around the world will present to students at the Upper School from Sept. 6 to Nov. 3.

Upper School Dean Sharon Cuseo said the main goal of bringing the college representatives to campus is to familiarize students with an assortment of schools.

“The best thing that can come from these visits is that students can expand their familiarity with a range of colleges,” Cuseo said. “I think most students start Harvard-Westlake with knowledge of a small number of the same schools. We have over 100 college visits every year, and if students take advantage of the range of colleges, they’ll increase their exposure to a variety of schools.”

Dickinson College Senior Associate Director and Co-Coordinator of Admissions Volunteer Network Amy Hall said the best part of the visits is the connection

that representatives get to form with interested students.

“We get a specific kind of insight [into] what the student is looking for ,” Hall said. “ We get a face to your name then, [and] for me, it’s about having an actual connection with a person.”

Eric Lee ’25 said the college representatives can help students make important decisions about where they want to go to college.

“Where we go to college is a big factor in at least the next four years of our life after high school,” Lee said. “It’s great that the school is giving us the chance to become more familiar with these places [and] ask admissions officers questions we normally wouldn’t be able to find the answers to online.”

Aidan Deshong ’24 said though speaking to college representatives can be helpful, talking to actual students and alumni gives a more accurate depiction of the school.

“The [representatives] are good at giving you broad information about the college, but if you want to get a sense of student life , you are better off asking people who go there rather than the college [representatives] who have their own pre-programmed statement,” Deshong said.