School partners with UCLA Blood and Platelet Center to host blood drive

A+student+donates+blood+in+an+earlier+parent-organized+drive+in+the+fall+with+the+UCLA+Blood+and+Platelet+center.+
Connor Tang
A student donates blood in an earlier parent-organized drive in the fall with the UCLA Blood and Platelet center.

The school hosted the second blood drive of the year in partnership with University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Blood and Platelet Center in Chalmers on May 2. The drive was open to the entire school community, including parents, teachers, and students above 16 years of age with parental consent. The school’s winter blood drive had a total of 48 sign ups, while the spring drive received 50 sign ups in addition to some walk-ins.

Leo Craig ’24 said he chose to donate for a second time because he enjoys the chance to help patients needing blood.

“This was my second time [donating blood] and I thought it was a good experience to help people out when they need blood,” Craig said. “I’ve [also] heard there is a blood shortage, so I decided it was a good opportunity to help people out.”

Parent Blood Drive Committee Co-Chair Xian Li (Angela ’26, Matthew ’26 and Benjamin ’24) said the event important for the school to help people in need.

“HW Parents collaborate with UCLA’s Blood and Platelet Center for this crucial event typically twice a year,” Li said. “Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. requires blood, and HW will contribute to saving lives.”

After donating, all participants received a giftcard from the UCLA team as a thank you. Megan Kim ’24, who donated blood for the first time, said the process was quick and efficient.

“It was a very nice, smooth experience,” said Kim. “It only took about seven minutes to draw my blood, and it’s nice to have this opportunity to help people.”