Cross country teams attend second Mission league meet

Darlene Bible
Robby Louie ’26 runs in the second Mission League Cluster Meet.

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams attended the second Mission League Cluster meet at Crescenta Park on Oct. 11. The boys’ team finished second out of eight teams, and the girls’ team finished first out of five teams. In the 5k race, Leo Craig ’24 placed sixth overall with a time of 16:36, and Emily Ahn ’25 placed first overall with a time of 20:36.

Chance Krenzer ’25 said the boys’ team’s improvement from third to second was a result of hard work in practice.

“On the boys’ side, the [Mission] league is probably the most competitive it has ever been,” Krenzer said. “St. Francis is really good right now, but beating Loyola and taking second in the league would be the first time we’ve ever done that. In practices, Coach Sharpe has been pushing us to do harder workouts and get better, so that could be contributing to some of the faster times we’ve been putting up.”

Krenzer said the team is ready for important races despite being worn down at this point in the season.

“Fatigue is definitely on people’s minds right now,” Krenzer said. “Right around October is when everyone is the most tired they’ll be during the season. Soon we’ll start our peak, where we cut the amount of miles we run, which will get us in the best shape possible for the big races at the end of the season.”

The boys’ and girls’ teams’ next meet is the Mt. Sac Invitational on Oct. 20.