Football forfeits to St. Pius X – St. Matthias Academy

Darlene Bible
Samuel Christopher ’24 runs the ball in a game against St. Anthony High School Oct. 7.

The varsity football team decided to forfeit their game against St. Pius X – St. Matthias Academy due to multiple injuries over the last couple of weeks. The away game was originally scheduled for Oct. 14 at 12:30 p.m.

The team faced St. Anthony at the school’s Homecoming on Oct. 7, losing 51-14.

Tight end Matteo Arroyo ’25, defensive end Abraham Avalos ’26 and middle linebacker Bill Coleman ’24 have each suffered concussions at this point in the season. Linebacker Camilo Arroyo ’26 is currently suffering a knee injury which will leave him out for the remainder of the season and require surgery.

Running back Derek Dai ’26 said he was disappointed in the coaching staff’s decision to forfeit the game.

“I can kind of see where they are coming from, but at the end of the day, you signed up to play football,” Dai said. “This is what it is, so I don’t think the decision to forfeit was a great one.”

According to Dai, the team had a meeting with the Head of Sports Psychology Kat Scardino who said the team should focus on communication with each other and coaches.

The squad is scheduled to play next against Mary Star of the Sea on Oct. 20 in an away game.