Boys’ water polo defeats Mater Dei on Senior Day

Connor Tang
Attacker Alex Heenan ’24 rises up on a five meter penalty shot in a game against Mater Dei Oct. 21.

The boys’ water polo team defeated Mater Dei High School 17-8 at home Oct. 21. The team moves to an overall record of 17-6 with a league record of 3-0.

The game was also the team’s senior day, which honored James Peace ’24, Alex Wiezorek ’24, Alex Heenan ’24, Ben Oerlemans ’24, Ramsay Letteau-Stallings ’24, Logan Azizzadeh ’24, Dean Strauser ’24, Asher Engelberg ’24 and Andre Touloumian ’24.

Touloumian said scoring on senior day was a memorable moment for him.

“[Scoring a goal] felt great,” Touloumian said. “I feel like I’ve worked hard for four years. That goal [I scored] was really special considering it’s probably going to be the last goal of my high school career. I was glad to hear all the support everywhere, it was awesome. It was a really awesome moment.”

Touloumian said despite missing several players, the team’s reserves stepped up in the game to cement the win.

“These last two weeks have been pretty brutal,” Touloumian said. “We’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of guys out that are really crucial to our CIF run. [Boys’ Water Polo Program Head Jack Grover] always praises us for our greatest strength being our team’s depth. This game, he said we [have] got to put our money where our mouth was. For a guy that usually wouldn’t even go in that game, I scored a bucket. We got the next guy up, once one guy went down.”

The team’s final regular season game is against Loyola High School at the University of Southern Californa’s Uytengsu Aquatic Center on Oct. 25.