School hosts Mission League boys’ and girls’ basketball Media Day

Connor Tang
Guard Robert Hinton ’24 addresses a question at the Mission League Media Day Oct. 25.

The school hosted the Mission League boys’ and girls’ basketball Media Day in Ahmanson Lecture Hall on Oct. 25. Media reporters were able to ask individual questions to coaches and prominent players from each team.

The boys’ Mission League currently consists of Harvard-Westlake, Alemany, Chaminade, Sierra Canyon, Notre Dame, Crespi, Loyola and St. Francis. Head Coach Dave Rebibo, guard Trent Perry ’24, guard Robert Hinton ’24, guard Christian Horry ’24 and forward Nikolas Khamenia ’25 represented the boys’ team.

Rebibo said members on the team will have to adjust to their new roles going into the season.

“It’s a new year, new team,” Rebibo said. “We are trying to figure out what works for us and what doesn’t, and [we’re] also trying to learn a new group. There’s expanded roles, and [Hinton], [Horry], [Perry and Khamenia] are going to be taking on new leadership roles for us. These guys are expected to do more, and clean up the areas. We’re excited for this special group and we’re looking forward to starting the season.”

Perry said the team is looking to build off prior success and continue improving their skills.

“[The team just] wants to keep getting better,” Perry said. “Even though we had some great accomplishments in the past year in winning the state championship, I still feel like we have unfinished business to attend to. In my senior season I’m gonna give it my all, so my teammates can have success.”

The girls’ media day, which took place after the boys’, consisted of Harvard-Westlake, Alemany, Chaminade, Sierra Canyon, Marlborough and Notre Dame. Head Coach Melissa Hearlihy, guard Jamie Yue ’24, guard Deana Thompson ’25 and forward Valentina Guerrero ’26 represented the girls’ team.

Yue said she wants to establish her legacy in the girls’ program in her senior year.

“I want to be remembered as a good captain to my teammates, and a really hard worker,” Yue said. “That’s one constant I can bring no matter what, [despite] any external factors. [I also want] to be remembered for my defensive presence on the court.”

Hearlihy said developing underclassmen is one of the team’s priorities.

“We lost two of the starters last year,” Hearlihy said. “Moving forward, I feel like the two of the three freshmen have a lot of experience and are going to be able to contribute right away, which is going to help. We need to blend them with [the upperclassmen] on the floor and off the floor, but we’re very excited about the future.”