Freshman wins Mission League Individual Championship

Darlene Bible
Elle Kirman ’27 runs in the Mission League Individual Championship on Oct. 31. Kirman placed first out of 35 participants.

Girls’ cross country runner Elle Kirman ’27 won the 2023 Mission League Girls’ Cross Country Individual Championship on Oct. 31. Kirman finished the three mile race with a time of 19:26, placing first out of 35 runners. Four Wolverines placed in the top five after Kirman, including Phoebe Hsu ’24, Print Managing Editor Iona Lee ’24, Helen Yang ’24 and Assistant Features Editor Saisha Kumar ’25.

Kirman said she is grateful to have won the race as well as the Mission League.

“Winning this race was a really incredible opportunity, especially for the girls’ team to win this race as well since they’ve had a pretty long winning streak [in the Mission League],” Kirman said.

Kirman said the team won by following a conservative strategy.

“For this race, our coach wanted five of our top girls to all pack up at the front of the race,” Kirman said. “We took out a fairly slow first mile. After that first mile, our coach wanted us to go and make our move. I decided to do that, and me and Phoebe finished first and second with a pretty good time.”

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams’ next meet is the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) Preliminary Round at Mt. San Antonio College on Nov. 11.