Prefect Council hosts annual costume contest

Printed with permission of Shauna Altieri

Prefect Council hosted a Halloween costume contest during lunch Oct. 31. A panel of faculty members judged each contestant’s costume, and the contestant with the highest score won a $50 gift card. Faculty dressed up as characters from the movie “Barbie” and participated in a flash mob dance with a group of students set to “Dance the Night Away” by Dua Lipa.

Junior Prefect Ellie Borris ’25 said he was glad the event was lively and had many participants.

“It was fun not only organizing the event but participating in it as well,” said Borris. “Our main goal in planning the event was bringing fun and Halloween spirit to the Quad, which I believe we achieved.”

Mathematics Teacher Kasia Williams, who participated in the dance performance, said she appreciated the opportunity to connect with other teachers.

“I really like working with other teachers on artsy projects in general,” Williams said. “I enjoy getting to know the other adults on campus and having fun together. Everyone was super nice and supportive. We all wanted to keep practicing because dancing makes us feel good and practice makes [us] better.”

Ryan Acosta ’26 said he enjoyed the costume contest as it allowed him and his friends to dress up as characters from the television show “Octonauts.”

“I immediately knew I wanted to do the costume contest when it was announced, as I wanted to showcase [our] amaz-
ing ‘Octonauts’ costume,” Acosta said. “I was able to convince two of my friends to join me, as it would make more sense if there
was more than one ‘Octonaut.’”

Sarah Parmet ’25 was one of the student dancers leading the flash mob. Parmet she enjoyed learning the choreography as well as the energy of the dance.

“I chose to participate because I’ve always wanted to do a flash mob,” Parmet said. “I love dancing and being part of the school spirit seemed exciting. Hank [Schoen ’24] and Arely [Monterroso ’24]’s choreography was really good, so I had a lot of fun doing the dance with them.”