Boys’ basketball defeats Polytechnic in big win

Darlene Bible
Guard Robert Hinton ’24 dribbles the ball in a game against Polytechnic High School on Nov. 21.

The boys’ basketball team defeated Polytechnic High School 85-28 at home in a non-league game Nov. 21. The team improved to an overall record of 4-0.

Guard Keeyan Delawalla ’24 said the team was able to effectively control passing lanes with a zone defense during the game.

“We wanted to make sure that we didn’t give them any free catches,” Delawalla said. “Once we were up a big enough lead, we got back into a [two-three zone]to give up as few points as possible.”

After two more games, the team will face Perry High School in the 2023 Hoophall West Classic on Dec. 2, hosted at Chaparral High School, Arizona. According to MaxPreps, Perry is currently ranked 13th in the country. Delawalla said the team will emphasize playing strong defense regardless of the opponent.

“We’re going to do the same old stuff against [Perry],” Delawalla said. “We have to be defensively sound, and the offense will come with getting defensive stops.”

The team will next face La Mirada High School in the Pac Shores Showcase on Nov. 26.