Girls’ water polo looks past recent loss to Corona Del Mar

Darlene Bible
Attacker Lilah Mitchell ’25 looks to make a pass in a game against Mira Costa High School on Dec. 2. The team defeated Mira Costa 23-11 at home.

The girls’ water polo team lost to Corona Del Mar High School Dec. 7. After winning their first game of the season, the team lost 13-16.

Jordan LaCour ’24 said the team’s  preseason training helped them prepare for the upcoming season and bond as a team.

“We were performing well, we were winning games that we were supposed to win and competing in games that were against really difficult teams,” said LaCour. “We built up how we were as a team, and we definitely developed like this family aspect which is really hard to get to with such a young team because they’re coming in such a new environment.”

LaCour said her injury may have hindered the team’s performance during the game.

“I had an injured left hand, so I think I [will] perform a lot better next time,” LaCour said.

LaCour said losing the recent game was important for the team to learn early on since the team consists of a lot of underclassmen.

“Losing that second game against a really good team, [is a] good learning experience,” LaCour said. “Because we are such a young team, it’s like good to have both the winning and the losing early on in the season just to like, kind of get that different perspective and different experience.”

Lilah Mitchell ’25 said that although the loss was upsetting, she looks forward to playing Corona Del Mar again this season.

“Obviously, there’s an initial reaction of disappointment because no one likes to lose a game, especially when we were up for the first quarter,” Mitchell said. “So it’s just now more [exciting] to have the goal to not lose to [Corona Del Mar] twice.”

Mitchell said she sees the upcoming game as a chance to improve their plays in practice.

“The very small mistakes that kind of cost us the game, like passes or body position, [we] will be fixing those mistakes in practice,” Mitchell said.