Cultural clubs host faculty lunch

Erin Ryu/Chronicle
Parent volunteers cook and serve traditional Indian and Japanese cuisine for school faculty to enjoy in front of the Feldman-Horn Gallery. The event was hosted by HW Parents, CHAI and JAG.

The Harvard-Westlake Parents (HWP) partnered with the Japanese-American Affinity Group (JAG) and Cultural Heritage and Arts of India (CHAI) to host the monthly Faculty and Staff Appreciation Luncheon in the Feldman-Horn Gallery on Dec. 1. JAG and CHAI provided a variety of traditional desserts. The foods emphasized the culture and heritage of the families at the school.

Upper School World Languages Teacher Marc Schuhl said the luncheon allowed him to take a break from teaching and connect with parents.

“Winter is a [busy] time of year, and it [was] the Friday of a long week. Having people [do] something nice for me [is] something I appreciate, and it [helps] me be in a better mood,” Schuhl said. “[The luncheons] build a sense of community. A couple of the parents who were there are actually parents of my students, so it was nice to chat with them.”

Upper School History Teacher Michelle Martinez said she appreciated the array of foods provided as well as the tireless collaboration between the parents and affinity groups.

“What I liked about the luncheon was that I didn’t have to think about bringing something or going down to the cafeteria,” Martinez said. “[The] food has been really good, so that’s also [enjoyable]. It’s really nice that the different [affinity] groups and parents [host] it. There’s involvement and community.”

Faculty Appreciation Committee Co-Chair Renata Salo (AJ ’26) said the luncheons are meant to acknowledge the effort the faculty and staff put in for students.

“The events are an incredible time for [parents] to thank the faculty for everything they do for all of our children on a daily basis,” Salo said. “It’s a way for us to say hello [and] to have them understand that we are their [partners] and we are so happy and appreciative of the time they give our kids [and our] families. We want to support them as much as we can.”