School to hire new rabbi

The school began the process of hiring a new spiritual leader for the 2024-2025 school year, a position that has not been filled since the passing of Rabbi Emily Feigenson in March 2020. For the last four years, Reverend Anne Gardner has been the sole religious figure at the school.

President Rick Commons said the new leader will work alongside Gardner as someone who has experience in working with Jewish students.

“What we’ve decided to do is pair someone with Gardner, who is not necessarily a rabbi, but somebody who has expertise in working with students who are Jewish or identify as Jewish, and who has expertise in Jewish life and culture,” Commons said.

After the passing of Feigenson and the simultaneous retirement of Father Jae Young, the school decided to hire a chaplain who could represent all people of all religions. Garnder identified that the school would benefit from hiring someone with knowledge of rabbinic studies, according to Commons.

Jewish Club co-leader Oren Hartstein ’24 said he and his co-leader, Charlotte Newman ’24, were consulted by the administration about the decision.

“Jewish Club was made aware that the school intended on hiring a rabbi,” Hartstein said. “ Newman and I were both aware of the decision and consulted on if we thought a rabbi would be a welcome addition to our school, [but] the decision itself was made by members of the administration.”

“Jewish Club was made aware that the school intended on hiring a rabbi,” Hartstein said. “Newman and I were both aware of the decision and consulted on if we thought a rabbi would be a welcome addition to our school, [but] the decision itself was made by members of the administration.”

Sydney Assil 26 said that having a rabbi on campus will be helpful in creating a welcoming environment for Jewish students.

“[A rabbi on campus] will create a supportive and safe environment for me and my Jewish peers,” Assil said. “I know that we have a Church on campus and other religious support, but there’s no one for Jewish kids to go to about our culture and religion.”

Commons said that hiring a rabbi is part of the school’s commitment to combat antisemitism as it rises globally.

“We are in times when there is a rising tide of antisemitism in Los Angeles and around the world,” Commons said. “Harvard-Westlake has committed to fighting against the tide and trying to reduce it where we are and everywhere that our students go.“ [Hiring a new rabbi] is part of that as well.”