Board Game Club and Cinephiles Club host activities

Nathan Wang
Board Game Club and Cinephiles Club collaborated to host a movie night with board games in Mudd Library on May 24.

Board Game Club leader Jacob Massey ’25 said he was inspired to collaborate with Cinephiles because he wanted to share both films and games with the school community.

“I wanted to do a combo event with someone from another club and wanted to do an after-school event, and I didn’t have the time for both,” Massey said.”Board games and movies are both things you can do to chill, so combining them enhanced them both.”

Cinephiles Club co-leader Juana Markman ’25 said the club wanted to host an after-school event with Board Game Club to provide more flexibility in scheduling and activities.

“We decided to do this event to create a fun and social environment that can combine different interests,” Markman said. “We also thought it would be really great to showcase movies and board games to a broader audience since during school hours, a lot of people might be busier or less willing to use up their lunch time to go to club meetings. Since the event was about four and a half hours, it also allowed us to watch multiple full movies and play longer and a lot more board games.”

Micah Parr ’25, who attended the event, said he appreciated the opportunity to spend time with his friends as the school year ends.

“Given how hard and stressful [school] can be, it’s important to have moments when you can just relax and have fun with your friends,” Parr said. “As a person who appreciates film and just loves hanging out with friends, having a moment at the end of the year to do something with [friends] is just great.”

Joshua Massey ’26 said he believes the event allowed students to connect as they played board games with each other.

“Having three hours as opposed to 45 minutes really let us take our time with [the board games], develop strategies and develop relationships,” Massey said. “We had fun along the way as we [moved] from board game to board game.”

Shimon Schlessinger ’26, who attended the event, said events like these give students a chance to relax and bond with each other without the usual time constraints that comes with club meetings during school hours.

“What’s nice about this event is that it allows us to play games without the same time pressure that happens in a normal Board Game Club [meeting], and it’s not high pressure,” Schlessinger said. “You can just relax and play a game quietly with some friends instead of trying to cram it into a small period at school.”

Jessica Ferrie ’26, who attended the event, said she enjoyed being able to interact with other students through the various activities offered.

“[The event] had many different games, as well as movies, so there was something for everyone,” Ferrie said. “I attended because it was a great opportunity for me to have fun with my friends. My favorite part was playing games with other people. It was a great way to bond and relax before finals.”