The Big Reveal

The All-Around: Bryce Terman ’15, Tufts University

Bryce Terman ’15 heard back from a few colleges before being accepted into Tufts University, where he applied Early Decision II.
Terman said that Tufts University had always been one of his top schools, but it was not until the time around the due date for regular applications that he felt ready to apply early decision.
“I was thinking that Tufts was really one of my first choices, and I would be really ecstatic to go there, so why not do it?” Terman said.
Terman is looking forward to taking classes in biology and economics as well as participating in more extracurricular activities.
“Besides the fact that it’s a great school with great academics, it has both very good arts and athletics,” Terman said. “It has great opportunities for me, both in the arts and my other extracurriculars, so I have a chance to explore.”

The Artist: Autumn Witz ’15, Syracuse University

After 13 auditions, Autumn Witz ’15 was accepted into the College of Visual and Performing Arts at Syracuse University in New York, where she will study acting.
“It was the perfect school for me,” Witz said. “It was the only school I hadn’t visited that I applied to, but when I went a couple of weeks ago, I knew this was my school.”
Witz had not been accepted into any other conservatories before she found out that she got into Syracuse University.
“I know a lot of my classmates who were auditioning for schools, we were all very much in limbo, and we didn’t know where we were getting into,” Witz said. “Luckily, all of us got in somewhere, but I had a lot of breakdowns and a lot of insecurities.”
Witz did not receive a scholarship, but she thinks that money will not be an issue because she can apply for financial aid next year.
“Luckily, I have a college fund,” Witz said. “At least we can get by the first year, maybe even the second year. It’ll be fine.”

The Athlete: Imani Cook-Gist ’15, Oberlin College

Imani Cook-Gist ’15 looks forward to the opportunity to devote more of her time to activities other than track at Oberlin College, a Division III school.
“As much as I initially wanted to go to a Division I school and focus on track, I also realized that I wanted to focus equally on other aspects of life,” Cook-Gist said. “I enjoy dancing. I wanted to delve into photography or singing more.”
She said that track will most likely be less of a time commitment than it is now.
Cook-Gist was admitted into Oberlin College Early Decision and visited the campus in November.
“The whole vibe there is so warm,” Cook-Gist said. “The people were all so welcoming and so nice.”

The Brain: Ethan Madison ’15, University of Michigan

Ethan Madison ’15 decided to attend University of Michigan because of its strong academic program and active campus life.
“I think it would be the most fun out of all the schools I applied to,” Madison said. “School spirit is a big part of it. I’m a college football fan, so they’ll hopefully have a good football team there.”
When he visited the campus, Madison particularly noticed how friendly and happy the students were.
“I think I am actually pretty happy that I didn’t get into some of the other schools because then I probably wouldn’t have gone to visit Michigan and I wouldn’t have thought of it,” Madison said. “I’m really happy that I’m going there, as weird as that sounds.”
Madison said he will probably major in computer science.