Habitat for Humanity goes on year’s first build trip

Club members of Habitat for Humanity went on their first build trip of the year in Montebello. Credit: Printed with permission of Casey Crosson ’17

Students painted moldings, cleaned rooms and built shelves at two build sites Saturday for Habitat for Humanity’s first build of the year in Montebello.

“Habitat for Humanity is a great cause that has given so many people the opportunity to own homes,” club co-leader Casey Crosson ’17 said. “Volunteering leaves you feeling rewarded after a long day’s work and also bonds you with the group you volunteer with. It’s so much fun and is so important.”

Being able to work at the build was a rewarding experience, Sirus Wheaton ’19 said.

“While we were working, many of the people who would be living in the house we were helping to build were also there,” Wheaton said. “One woman told me that she never expected to get out of the gang-infested neighborhood she lived in with her two kids. Yet, she worked hard and prayed, and she got one of the beautiful four bedroom homes we worked on. It was painstaking work, but I knew that the result of the work would pay off because I was helping people less fortunate than me.”