Poetry, music mark 3rd Coffee House

Solo vocal performances, including a rap number, recitation of original poetry and a  piano mash-up of 15 pop songs were some of the highlights of the third Coffee House held after school Feb. 23 in the lounge.

My favorite thing about Coffee House is how casual it is,” performer Aiyana White ’14 said. “The environment is really one in which you can laugh or mess up and it’s totally fine.”

Prefect Council provided coffee and hot chocolate from Coffee Bean, along with snacks such as fruit and candy.

“I think that, fundamentally, Coffee House is a community builder,” Weiss said. “It’s a relaxed environment where performers feel comfortable sharing and audience members enjoy observing.”

The show was run and organized by prefects Greg Lehrhoff ’14, Rachel Persky ’15 and Shelby Weiss ’16, who have all run previous Coffee Houses this year. Similar to previous Coffee Houses, many students performed in a variety of vocal performances, ranging from a solo by Sanah Ebrahim ’14, who sang Glee’s “Get It Right,” to a rap piece performed by Quinn Luscinski ’14.

A number of instrumental performances were featured, such as a piano mashup of 15 pop songs by Jules Gross ’15 and a classical piano piece performed by Grace Pan ’16.

“[Coffee House] give me an opportunity to get over my fear of being in front of a lot of people, but it also give me the opportunity to make lots of people smile,” Ebrahim said.

In addition to various musical acts, Teddy Leinbach ’15 performed “Broken Boy,” an original poem depicting Leinbach’s views of his own identity.

“It’s really an honor to be a part of the event because I love seeing our community come together and support such talented students and faculty in a comfortable and casual environment,” Persky said.