Robotics team competes this weekend in Long Beach

The Robotics Club  competes beginning tomorrow through Saturday in the Los Angeles Regional FIRST Robotics Competition in Long Beach.

The team participated in the third Central Valley Regional FIRST Robotics Competition at Madera South High School in Madera, Calif. from March 7 to March 9 and to prepare for it.

“We honestly did not do very well,” Robotics co-captain William Lee ’14 said. “We did not have a functioning robot at the start of the competition. But by the second day, we got our robot to work and faired much better in the competition.”

The team placed 39th out of 45 competing teams with four wins against six losses when racing the robots, and had one disqualification.

Due to the limited amount of hotel rooms, only 11 club members including science teacher Karen Hutchison and mathematics teacher Jason Fieldman attended the competition.

“For Long Beach, we plan on staying at a hotel as well,” Lee said. “But we can accommodate more people. But this time we are going to have a much better robot.”
    “We will continue making modifications this weekend for the upcoming tournament. We have an offensive based robot that is capable of playing defense due to our high maneuver ability.”

The team started later than most other teams and had only six weeks to prepare due to midterms.

“But the experience so far has been rewarding,” Lee said. “And we will be trying our best [this] week.”