Casting director calls back 8 seniors for science commercial

Eight seniors received callbacks for a commercial after a casting director contacted the school looking for “real science kids,” Director of Student Affairs Church said.

Patrick Angelo ’14, Donhem Brown ’14, Mac Colquhoun ’14,  Andrew Friedman ’14, Henry Jiang ’14, Irene Kao ’14,  Divya Siddarth ’14, Megha Srivastava ’14 and Kevin Zhang ’14 were called back for a shoot after auditioning for the commercial recently after school.

Held at a studio in Glendale, the audition involved the students having their pictures taken, and then splitting the students into two groups and reenacting a scene for a minute.

Throughout the whole process, the name of the company running the commercial has been kept secret.

In spite of not knowing the identity of their potential employer, the students attended the audition after Church spoke in four science classes about the opportunity.

Harvard-Westlake was contacted by the casting director asking for science students to audition.

Though the school typically turns down requests from outside  companies for any sort of student involvement, Church conferred with Head of Upper School Audrius Barzdukas and the two agreed that the school should make an exception in this particular case.

“Normally we try to protect our kids from requests like this, but Mr. Barzdukas and I decided it was a really easy way to help people’s college funds so we decided to let them do it,” Church said.