New director of public affairs to reach out to neighbors

Stacy Marble has been named the director of community and public affairs, a new position created to “make sure that Harvard-Westlake is engaged with the social fabric of Studio City,” she said.

Marble grew up in the San Fernando Valley and attended Grant High School. She graduated from Northwestern University and worked for 14 years for Los Angeles City Council member Tom LaBonge, who served his last term this year. She started her new position at the school March 16.

“This was a great opportunity for me to still work with community and be part of Los Angeles civic life, and I’m representing such a fine institution,” Marble said.

On her first day, Marble forwarded an email to the school’s neighbors from President Rick Commons describing the school’s Community Involvement Initiative.

“We will identify opportunities to serve as a resource — academic, athletic, cultural, and otherwise — to our friends, neighbors and greater Los Angeles,” Commons said in the email.

As part of the Community Involvement Initiative, Marble is planning a dinner in July for the 2015 Special Olympics World Games for 100 athletes, 100 coaches and 100 community members, because Studio City is considered a host town for the event, she said.

As a host town, Studio City hosts events, athletes and coaches for the Special Olympics.

“I’m very excited and honored to get to plan such an important event for the community,” Marble said. “I’m very proud of Harvard-Westlake for stepping up to host that.”

Marble wants to host a Community Emergency Response Team Event where neighbors could receive emergency preparedness training.

Marble said she wants to make the campus more open to neighbors by planning events and hosting community organizations.

“From neighbors I have met with in this short period of time, the most common response is that Harvard-Westlake should have created this position long ago,” Marble said. “There was a demonstrated need for it, and I’m happy to be here now for the school and for the community.”