Class of 2019 attends annual ring ceremony

Head of Upper School Laura Ross presents seniors with their class rings. Credit: Noah Aire/Chronicle

Science teacher and Coordinator of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Nate Cardin offered the seniors advice other alums and teachers said they wished they had heard when they were seniors at the annual Ring Ceremony Sunday. Cardin then encouraged members of the graduating class to respect one another and try not to inflict any “scars” as they enjoyed their last year at the school.

The Class of 2019 joined together at the ceremony to receive honorary rings or pins. As part of a new tradition in which the senior class elects their faculty speaker, Cardin gave the closing remarks.

After a moment of silence for the passing of history teacher Eric Zwemer and the senior prefects’ speeches, Cardin offered the seniors advice other alums and teachers said they wished they had heard when they were seniors. Cardin then encouraged members of the graduating class to respect one another and try not to inflict any “scars” as they enjoyed their last year at the school.

“I thought Dr. Cardin’s words were incredibly poignant,” Will Janos ’19. “He made us all take a step back and share a common goal – things that every single one of us could take to heart.”

Loyal Terry ’19 gave the opening remarks, highlighting his personal growth over his four years at the school. Vanessa Payne ’19 spoke about the meaning of the Ring Ceremony and the significance of “responsibility.” Lucas Lyons ’19 offered his take on the school’s Coat of Arms, and Caroline Cook ’19 concluded the senior prefect speeches by discussing the journey that the class took together.

“How many places can you go with such an incredible group of people like those at Harvard-Westlake,” Lyons said. “On any given day, I can eat lunch with nationally acclaimed athletes, award-winning musicians [and] two students who just made over $52,000 from their backpack Kickstarter.”

In between the speeches, Chamber singers and Bel Canto seniors performed two pieces: “Tunggare” by Stephen Leek and “Earth Song” by Frank Ticheli.