Softball struggles in league play, misses playoffs

For a team Coach Terry Elledge deemed “young and inexperienced,” there were some highlights for girls’ softball, including Christina Cavanaugh’s ’10 no-hitter against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy on April 15. A 15-0 shutout victory over Greenhill High School, a team from Dallas, Texas, on March 6 in the team’s third game of the season was also especially sweet, according to members of the team.

Despite Julie Fernandez’s ’08 .517 batting average and six home runs, the team struggled for the most part, finishing with an 8-18 overall record and a 3-7 league record.

The Lehigh University-bound Fernandez completed the season as the team’s best hitter in almost every statistical category, including batting average, home runs, runs batted in, and runs scored.

Cavanaugh and Sarah Enriquez ’11 were the two starting pitchers for the team. Although they struggled at times throughout the season, the two young starters can only gain from more experience and continue to contribute in the next few years.

“The pitching staff is going to be really solid next year,” Fernandez said.

“With Christina [Cavanaugh] coming back as a junior and with Sarah [Enriquez] getting her freshman  year under her belt, they’re both going to come back more experienced and ready to pitch for next year.”

After a three-game winning streak culminating in a win over Louisville, the team finished the year with three consecutives losses. It marked the end of long and productive high school careers for seniors Laurie Schleimer, Stephanie Da Silva and Fernandez.

“The end was sad because I spent so much time with the team,” Laurie Schleimer ’08 said.

“All the seniors were so close on and off the field. We were such a young team this year, there’s so much potential for the next few years. They’re going to get a lot better.  Hopefully they’ll be able to get a JV team back.”