CNPA names Chronicle best high school paper in state

The California Newspaper Publishers Association named The Chronicle the best 2008 high school newspaper in California.

The award was presented on Oct. 25 at the Sheraton Hotel in Universal City.

The CNPA is a nonprofit trade association representing California daily and weekly newspapers.

Every year the CNPA holds a “Better Newspapers Contest” in which over 500 newspapers participate.

The Chronicle competed against 46 newspapers in the High School division.

The Chronicle has been awarded first or second place in the state for the past six years.

The CNPA referred to the Chronicle as a clean newspaper with well written stories and great photography.

“I come away feeling I have a very good idea about what campus life is like at this school,” a CNPA judge said.

Chronicle adviser Kathleen Neumeyer said that the Better Newspapers Contest is her favorite contest to win because it is judged by professionals.

“Every year the Chronicle staff does a great job, and I am proud of them for winning and the hard work they put forth,” Neumeyer said.

The 2007-2008 Chronicle also won a first place George Gallup International Award from Quill & Scroll and All-Columbian Honors from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.

The Chronicle is a finalist for the National Scholastic Press Association’s National Pacemaker Award, to be presented Saturday in St. Louis, Mo.