Community Council organizes Thanksgiving drive for at-risk seniors

Credit: HW Communications Department

The HW Community Council organized a toiletry drive in conjunction with the Valley InterCommunity Council (VIC) to assist at-risk seniors in the San Fernando Valley on Nov. 7 and 14. Students donated over 400 baskets containing hand-written Thanksgiving notes and toiletries through a contactless drive-thru outside of Taper Gymnasium.

“With COVID cases spiking in Los Angeles this holiday season and many seniors feeling isolated, Harvard-Westlake’s Community Council wanted to help make their holidays a bit brighter,” Community Council member Carolina Rodriguez ’21 said. “By delivering personal hygiene kits, we hope seniors will have essential items they need and be able to avoid going to busy stores during the holidays.”

Students earn community service credit

Students donated a combination of six items to be delivered to the at-risk seniors: hand sanitizer, individual tissue packets, body soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant and Thanksgiving notes. Those who donated all six items received two hours of community service credit. After the items were collected at Taper Gymnasium, Community Council members placed them into baskets for Dean of Students Jordan Church and Counselor Michelle Bracken to deliver to the VIC for distribution.

The drive marked the Community Council’s second partnership with the VIC, the first being this past summer when the school’s kitchen staff prepared meals for the VIC to deliver to at-risk seniors.