Track and field state meet update

By Judd Liebman and Julius Pak

Two individual competitors qualified for and won the girls’ state meet finals in Clovis, California. Cami Chapus ’12 won the 1600-meter run. Amy Weissenbach ’12 took the 800-meter run title. Both also qualified along with KC Cord ’11 and Lauren Hansson ’11 on the 4×400-meter relay team.

Defending 800-meter champion Weissenbach dominated her race, winning by a huge margin of nearly six seconds. She ran two laps in 2:02.04, a national record. With this time, Weissenbach became the fastest American high school girl to run the 800-meter race. The meet record that Weissenbach broke had stood since 1984.

Chapus won the 1600-meter run by less than one second, running a state-leading and school record time of 4:40.88. Although Chapus has won numerous individual cross country state championships, this is her first state victory around the track. Chapus also placed ninth in the 3200-meter event.

The 4×400-meter relay team, consisting of Chapus, Cord, Hansson and Weissenbach, finished first, but was denied the state championship through disqualification for interference. An official claimed that Weissenbach had blocked the course of a runner from Long Beach Poly. Although the school appealed the disqualification and video evidence proved against the ruling, the initial decision stood. The relay team’s time of 3:42.6 would have broken the current school record, held by the same team, of 3:44.05

With four entrants in four events, the Wolverines tied for third over sixteen events overall  with Mt. Pleasant at 20 points. Long Beach Poly won State with 72 points.